Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Shorba is a thick Indian soup that’s laced with spices. To add texture and protein, stir 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or lentils into the puréed soup.
1. To make Shorba: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add kale stems, potato, ginger, garlic, jalapeños, coriander, and turmeric, and sauté 2 minutes. Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, then add kale leaves. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes more, or until potatoes and kale are tender. Stir in tomato purée, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Blend mixture in batches in blender or food processor until very smooth.
3. To make Raita: stir together yogurt, cucumber, cumin, and salt in bowl. Swirl 3 Tbs. Raita into each bowl of Shorba.
- Calories 172
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 450 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g