Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Julie DeMatteo, a retired school teacher from Clementon, N.J., modeled the relish in her colorful pita pocket after that from muffaletta—a classic New Orleans sandwich piled high with a marinated olive salad. She added a sprinkling of wheat germ for “nutrition and crunch.”
1. To make Relish: combine all ingredients, including reserved marinade, in medium bowl.
2. To make Hummus: blend all ingredients and 2 Tbs. water in blender until smooth.
3. To assemble Pitas: Spread 3 Tbs. Hummus into each pita half, and sprinkle with 1 Tbs. wheat germ. Top with Relish, dividing evenly among Pitas. Serve immediately.
- Calories 253
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 674 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g