Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Because wild rice takes twice as long to cook as white rice or bulgur, its easier to bake this pilaf in the oven.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft, stirring often. Raise heat to medium, add mushrooms, and cook
7 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown. Stir in garlic and thyme, and cook 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in rice. Add <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags” />Madeira and soy sauce, and simmer 2 minutes, or until almost all liquid has evaporated. Add broth and 1 cup water, and return to a simmer.
2. Place lid on Dutch oven, and bake 45 minutes. Remove lid, and bake 30 minutes more, or until most of liquid has been absorbed. Remove from oven, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
3. Fold in peas and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Calories 399
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 426 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g