Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Think of this recipe as a protein-packed, gluten-free alternative to mac ’n’ cheese.
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and bell peppers; cover, and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in quinoa and garlic, and cook, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes, or until quinoa grains turn opaque.
2. Add 3 cups water, and season with salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes more, or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Transfer to prepared baking dish, and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until browned around the edges and on top.
- Calories 241
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 72 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 295 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g