Southern Thai Fresh Rolls
Think of these rolls as noodle-wrapped salads with a dressing for dipping. Fresh rice-paper rolls are easy to make once you get the hang of softening the wrappers with warm water. Serve these rolls as an appetizer or as part of an Asian-themed meal. They make delicious take-along lunches, too!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/3 cup cashew, peanut, or almond butter
- 2 1/2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 medium beets, trimmed
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, and shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup fresh mint
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup Thai basil
- 12 8-inch rice paper rounds
1. To make Sauce: Combine all ingredients and 3 Tbs. hot water in small bowl. Set aside.
2. To make Rolls: Steam beets 15 minutes, or until knife easily slides through center. Cool. Slip off skins, and cut into matchstick slices. Arrange beet slices on platter lined with paper towels. Arrange separate piles of carrots, cucumber, and bell pepper on platter; mix together mint, cilantro, and basil, and pile on platter.
3. Fill large, shallow dish with hot water. Submerge 1 rice-paper wrapper in warm water, and soak 6 seconds, or until slightly softened. Carefully remove from water, and lay out on clean, dry cutting board.
4. Place 1 Tbs. herb mixture in center of softened rice-paper wrapper, and top with 1 Tbs. beets, 1 Tbs. carrot, 3 cucumber strips, and 4 bell pepper strips. Fold sides of wrapper toward center, and over ingredients, and roll wrapper into tight cylinder. Serve rolls with Sauce for dipping.
- Calories 99
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 226 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g