Braised Baby Artichokes
This classic Mediterranean recipe highlights two summertime treasures—artichokes and fresh tomatoes.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 lb. baby artichokes, trimmed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 lb. tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add artichokes. Add lemon juice and garlic when artichokes begin to sizzle, then season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer artichokes 15 minutes.
2. Uncover pan, and add tomatoes. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes more, or until mixture thickens and most of tomato liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 234 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g