Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Prepared creamy soups like butternut squash, corn, and potato-leek make great bases for hearty stews that sneak an extra veggie serving past picky eaters.
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Sauté carrot in oil 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes more, or until soft. Stir in cumin seeds and bay leaf.
2. Purée 3/4 cup chickpeas and 3/4 cup butternut squash soup in blender until smooth. Add to carrot mixture along with remaining chickpeas and soup. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, place couscous in heat-proof bowl, and stir in 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Cover, and let stand 3 to 5 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff couscous with fork. Divide couscous among 6 shallow bowls. Ladle chickpea stew around couscous in each bowl.
- Calories 480
- Carbohydrate Content 87 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 645 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g