Butternut Squash-Bartlett Pear Soup
Chef Bryant Terry came up with this recipe during a cooking demonstration in Memphis, Tenn. "I went to the market and saw these beautiful squash and juicy pears," he explains. "With some crusty bread, you can actually make a meal out of it."
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts finely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (2 lb.)
- 3 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces (1½ lb.)
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14-oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leeks, and cook 10 minutes, or until soft, stirring often.
- Add squash and pears, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add salt, if desired. Simmer 20 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in coconut milk. Purée soup in batches in blender or food processor, or use immersion blender in saucepan; blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan, and stir in thyme. Reheat over medium-low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through. Season with salt and white pepper, if desired. Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds, if using.
- Calories 264
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 138 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g