Eggplant Stir-Fry with Green Beans and Cashews
They may not get star billing on many restaurant menus, but eggplant stir-fries are Asian favorites. Serve this hearty, saucy dish over steamed rice
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. black bean sauce with garlic, such as Kikkoman, optional
- 1 1/2 tsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. chile-garlic sauce, such as Huy Fong
- 8 oz. green beans, cut diagonally in thirds
- 2 green onions, chopped (1/4 cup),plus 1 Tbs. more for garnish
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. canola, peanut, or grapeseed oil, divided
- 3 Chinese, Japanese, or Filipino eggplants, unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews
1. To make Sauce: combine all ingredients in small bowl.
2. To make Stir-Fry: Blanch green beans in 2 1/2 cups boiling water 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Rinse with cold water, and drain well.
3. Combine 1/4 cup green onions, ginger, and garlic in bowl. Set aside.
4. Heat 1 Tbs. canola oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups eggplant pieces, and stir-fry 6 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to bowl. Add 1 Tbs. canola oil and remaining 2 cups eggplant pieces to pan, and stir-fry 6 minutes.
5. Return all eggplant pieces to pan.Season with salt, if desired, and stir-fry 3 minutes. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to bowl.
6. Add remaining 1 tsp. canola oil to pan, and heat over medium heat. Add ginger mixture, and stir-fry 15 seconds, or until fragrant. Add green beans and eggplant pieces, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup green bean cooking liquid and Sauce, and cook until heated through. Drizzle with sesame oil, and garnish with green onions and cashews.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup
- Calories 183
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 163 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g