Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These savory turnovers can also be filled with drained Callaloo, and the dough is surprisingly easy to make.
1. To make Crust: Combine flour, curry powder, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Add margarine, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ¾ cup cold water; process until dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add tempeh, curry powder, chili powder, oregano, thyme, allspice, if desired, and 1½ cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in rum, if desired, and cook until liquid has evaporated. Cool, then stir in green onions.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 6-inch circles. Brush edges of circles with water, and place 1½ Tbs. Filling in centers. Fold circles in half, crimping edges with fork tines to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Calories 259
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 328 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g