Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Lots of garlic makes this a deeply-flavored dish.
1. To make Roux: In medium-sized, heavy-gauge saucepan, heat oil and garlic over medium heat, about 1 minute. Avoid browning garlic. Whisk in flour, and increase heat to medium-high. Whisk continually, and when paste begins to darken, add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to whisk as roux thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. To make Gumbo: Spray 5-quart saucepan with nonstick cooking spray, preferably olive oil. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat, and add garlic, onion and pepper. Sauté 3 minutes, and add okra. Cook 5 minutes, and add vegetarian links and seitan. Cook mixture 8 minutes, stirring often. Add sherry.
3. Add 3/4 cup broth to pan. Place tomatoes in food processor, and pulse to chop coarsely. Add tomatoes to broth. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup broth into roux, and stir mixture into gumbo. Add thyme, coriander and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to low; cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and serve.
- Calories 197
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 524 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g