Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This hearty veggie dish would be the centerpiece of a festive South Indian meal. If you can’t find fresh or frozen coconut, soak dried coconut in hot water for 15 minutes, then drain.
1. Purée cilantro leaves, coconut, coconut milk, garlic, serrano chile, coriander, and cayenne pepper in food processor until mixture forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
2. Place carrots and sweet potato in large skillet, and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 2 minutes. Add cauliflower, cover skillet, and simmer 2 minutes. Add green beans, cover, and cook 2 minutes more, or until vegetables are just tender. Stir in cilantro-and-coconut paste, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, and cover. Cook 30 seconds, or until sizzling subsides, then stir in curry leaves, if using. Stir mustard seeds and curry leaves into vegetables. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Calories 146
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 434 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g