Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Cutting cauliflower into flat slices instead of florets guarantees deep browning and intense caramelized flavor.
1. Slice stem end of cauliflower so it sits flat. Slice through head at 3/4-inch intervals to make flat slabs. Separate slabs into 20 smaller slabs, and collect and set aside any remaining small florets and cauliflower “crumbs” (there will be about 1 cup). Season slabs with salt and pepper, if desired, and set aside.
2. Pulse 1 Tbs. hazelnuts, 1 Tbs. cranberries, 1 tsp. capers, 21/2 tsp. hazelnut oil, 21/2 tsp. lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme, and 1 Tbs. water in small food processor until coarse paste forms. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear cauliflower pieces in single layer in skillet 3 to 5 minutes, or until deep brown. Add remaining 11/2 tsp. vegetable oil, flip cauliflower pieces, and cook 3 to 5 minutes more, or until tender. Remove pan from heat. Drizzle with remaining 1/2 tsp. hazelnut oil and 1/2 tsp. lemon juice.
4. Combine arugula with reserved cauliflower “crumbs,” remaining 3 Tbs. hazelnuts, remaining 3 Tbs. cranberries, remaining 2 tsp. capers, and dressing in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Top with seared cauliflower.
- Calories 176
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 95 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g