Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
These “meatballs” are perfect with pasta, but they’re also tasty in a sandwich.
To make Winter Tomato Sauce:
1. Simmer all ingredients in partially covered saucepan 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
To make Seitan Meatballs:
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Blend seitan in food processor until crumbly. Add pecans, and pulse until combined.
3. Transfer to bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, herbs, 1 Tbs. oil, garlic, soy sauce and oregano. Whisk egg replacer with 1/4 cup water until frothy. Fold egg replacer into seitan mixture.
4. Shape mixture into 18 balls. Place on prepared baking sheet, and brush with 1 Tbs. remaining oil. Bake 20 minutes, turning once, or until crusty and lightly browned. Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, and divide among serving bowls. Top with sauce and meatballs, and serve.
- Calories 575
- Carbohydrate Content 68 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 418 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g