Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“When I was little, I would raid my fridge and create stuff for my friends,” admits Laura Hite, first-place winner of VT’s 2008 Reader Recipe Contest. A big fan of Italian food, and a vegetarian for nine years, Hite replaced the traditional veal in this dish with soy-based Veat. Osso buco is usually paired with risotto, but Hite used orzo pasta to create an Asparagus-Mushroom Orzotto that VT testers unanimously declared good enough to be served on its own. For a simpler variation, skip the orzotto and serve the osso buco over plain pasta or brown rice. To veganize the recipe, simply replace the butter with olive oil, and omit the Parmesan from the orzotto.
To make Osso Buco:
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pot over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, and parsley, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste, and cook 5 minutes. Add meat substitute, broth, wine, and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens and meat substitute is heated through.
To make Asparagus-Mushroom Orzotto:
- Heat olive oil and butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 10 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add asparagus and mushrooms, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until mushrooms start to release their juices. Add 1/2 cup orzo and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add remaining orzo, and cook 3 minutes more, or until all pasta bits are browned. Stir in 1/2 cup vegetable broth, parsley, and thyme, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until orzo has absorbed all liquid, stirring often. Continue adding broth to orzo 1/2 cup at a time until all liquid is absorbed and orzo is al dente. Remove from heat, and stir in Parmesan, if desired. Serve with Osso Buco.
- Calories 453
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 19.5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6.5 g
- Sodium Content 825 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g