Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This meal-size warm salad comes together quickly after a long day of shopping and won’t leave you too stuffed to tackle an after-dinner gift-wrapping session. The lentil-rice combo is kid-friendly—just skip the salad part and serve in bowls with carrot sticks and grape tomatoes.
1. To make Lentils and Rice: Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Stir in cumin, and cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant. Stir in lentils, rice, and 2 1/2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 25 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender. Season with salt and pepper once more.
2. Meanwhile, to make Balsamic Dressing: Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and mustard in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
3. To serve: Divide mesclun salad mix among 4 plates. Top with Lentils and Rice, and drizzle with Balsamic Dressing.
- Calories 361
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 23 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g