Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Ripe plantains have a starchy consistency like potatoes, but with more fiber.
1. Combine plantains, lime juice, and 1/2 cup water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover pan, and simmer 20 minutes, or until plantains are very soft. Mash with fork or potato masher, and stir in lime zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Combine beans and salsa in small saucepan; warm over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Spread heaping 1/4 cup plantains on bottom half of each tortilla, leaving 2-inch border. Top with 1/2 cup bean mixture. Fold sides of tortilla over filling, then roll from bottom up. Serve with additional salsa, if using.
- Calories 349
- Carbohydrate Content 72 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 779 mg
- Sugar Content 18 g